- Discover Jonesboro
- Economic Development
- Your Chamber
- Leadership Programs
An Evening in Black: NAACP Freedom Fund Gala
Friday, September 24, 2021 - 6:00pm
The Glass Factory, 313 West Huntington
Join us for "An Evening in Black", the Craighead County NAACP Freedom Fund's third annual event honoring the theme of Equity. The Freedom Fund Gala is the organizations primary fundraiser, and along with membership fees, donations, and other fundraisers, is how they fund the work they do in our communities and indeed the nation.
With over 2 million members, advocates and activists, the NAACP is the Nation's largest and oldest civil rights organization. Founded in 1909, the NAACP's mission is to secure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights to eliminate race-based discrimination and ensure the health and well-being of all persons.
An example of our 2021 work in Craighead County includes:
- educating and advocating for our community to protect themselves from COVID-19; and partnering with Woodsprings Pharmacy to conduct a walk-in vaccination clinic in North Jonesboro
- actively registering citizens to vote while educating on the importance of education of the issues and the responsibility of voting
- leading efforts to defeat a number of 'bad bills' that negatively impact under-resourced communities and families, such as the "stand your ground bill"
While the work in 2021 will contnue in 2022, our values, goals, and strategies for 2022 are:
Health & Wellness
- increase percentage of peopleof color receiveing COVID-19 vaccinations
- establish partnershp with NEA Baptist and NYIt for communit engagement, education, and COVID-19 vaccination clinics in rural communities of NEA
- create alliances that contribute to an inclusive economy where all people earn fair wages with equitable access to opportunity.
- establish & develop ambassadorship program with NEA Baptist to grow financial and human resources and awareness / importance of the work of the local NAACP
- establish and develop lunch and learn sessions for minority - owned business owners.
Criminal Justice and Police Reform
- continue partnership with local Jonesboro Police Department on education, training, and community conversations
- partner with local schools to establish mentoring programs for kids of color
- advocate to local schools for equitable education for kids of color
- join the National NAACP in efforts to cancel student loan debt, which will significantly increase equity and opportunity for students of color
Highlights of the evening will incude recognizing those in our community who have made a difference in Northeast Arkansas through their work in driving the Equity Initiative for people of color. We will also award a deserving high school senior with a collge scholarship; and of course, there will be food, fun and music.
We sincerely hope you will consider becoming involved in supporting our efforts. There are several ways you can become involved:
- become an event sponsor
- purchase a social media ad campaign
- purchase event table or tickets
- encourage others to participate
We also invite you to become a full-fledged member an at annual cost of $30.00 for adult membership. If your corporation would like to become a member, please call for details at 870-931-8248
Thank you in advance for your favorable response and we look forward to seeing you at the gala.